NJ Local Government Week
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are offering ideas to celebrate NJ Local Government Week virtually in 2021.
From simple to complex, there are many opportunities to engage residents, highlight your town’s beauty, and show the dedicated work of your municipal staff. Here are some ideas that the League has come up with. Let’s get creative! We are excited to see what you come up with.
We invite you to join in with municipalities across the Garden State April 18-24, 2021, to engage citizens while celebrating the work of local government. Municipalities are on the front lines of community service and generally receive higher approval ratings than other levels of government. However, many residents are unaware of how these services impact their daily lives.
Ways to participate online
- Share photos of municipal employees, showcase city equipment, highlight the beauty of parks and recreational areas on social media
- Host a Coffee with the Mayor or give residents an update on what is happening in your municipality over Facebook/Twitter live
- Highlight the beauty of your municipality in a video
- Give a video tour of your municipal building
- Highlight your health department during the pandemic; share their efforts and let them answer questions via Facebook/Twitter live.
- Engage residents by asking them to share their photos with you from around your municipality, and share them on social media
- Host a podcast highlighting the ongoing efforts of your health department
- Host an online trivia contest or scavenger hunt (that they can do in their own backyards or while maintaining social distancing) for kids, parents are eagerly looking for ways to keep kids engaged while they are home from school!
- Host a guest speaker via Facebook/Twitter live or on your YouTube channel
- Host an online contest to engage residents – they are looking for things to do!
- Highlight how your municipality is modifying some operations to ensure that they are continued during the pandemic; such as remote meetings, use of drop boxes for paperwork, video teleconferencing, and etc.
- Share photos of your Police Officers and some brief introductions about who they are. Let residents get to know your staff!
- Remind residents that while they are telecommuting or staying home, they may see municipal workers they normally do not see. DPW trucks and workers might be a new sight. Inspectors, police, & first responders are all still at work. Residents may see maintenance occurring at parks which they normally don’t see when using the park on the weekends.
This is the perfect opportunity to highlight the importance of local government and how municipal staff works every day to ensure the health and safety of its residents.
NJ Local Government Week is a time for municipalities to encourage civic education, community collaboration, volunteerism, and local pride. Through NJ Local Government Week, the League hopes to bring awareness to the role local government plays in achieving the best life for communities. Invite your schools, civic groups, businesses, and media to NJ Local Government Week activities for citizens of all ages.
Let residents know about municipal facilities and careers, public works equipment, and fire, police, or utility vehicles. Roll out virtual city hall open houses, host a coffee with the mayor on Facebook live, or provide a virtual tour to students through council chambers.
Tap into local resources such as community service and volunteering in partnership with local organizations to cross-promote NJ Local Government Week.
Encourage citizens to share their civic pride with an essay, photography, or design showcase/contest. Why not make it a feeder program for your entry for the League’s Show Off Your Municipality photo contest for next year?
Municipalities are encouraged to use social media to celebrate and promote their events using the hashtag #NJLocalGovt and to share event reminders, updates and interesting facts via Twitter and Facebook.
"How To" Packet
The League has created a brochure (PDF) which includes ideas and materials for celebrating NJ Local Government Week, publicity tips and strategies, and links to a sample press release and resolution.
Use the NJ Local Government Week Logo
A special logo was created to help promote awareness of NJ Local Government Week. Logos can be downloaded from the top-right of this web page.
Add Your Municipal Seal!
When promoting NJ Local Government week in your municipality, we suggest incorporating your municipality’s branding. (Logos can be downloaded from the top-right of this web page.) Below are some suggestions on how to incorporate your municipal seal into the NJ Local Government Week logo: